The Home Ownership Plus Education (HOPE) Scheme is an initiative by the then Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS), now known as Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF). New Hope Community Services (NHCS) is one of the several agencies who are conducting the HOPE Scheme. Hope Scheme is for young, low-income families who choose to keep their family small. Under the scheme, families will receive education and training grants aimed at helping the family achieve self-reliance.
HOPE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Families who have household* income of $1,700 or lower per month;
- Wife is aged 35** years or below;
- Is married with 1 or 2 children*** who are Singapore Citizens;
- Either the husband or wife is a Singapore Citizen, and the spouse is either a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident of Singapore; and
- Husband is employed.
* For families where at least one spouse has post-secondary education, neither spouse should earn more than $1,200 per month each.
** For families where at least one spouse has post-secondary qualification, the wife must be aged 30 - 35 years old.
*** For applicants who have children from previous marriages or relationships (outside the current marriage), the children will be included in consideration of the number of children.
With effect from 1 July 2013, a family on HOPE will receive comprehensive benefits and may be eligible for several incentives:
|TRAINING AND EMPLOYMENT||Training advice and employment support||Ongoing advice provided on training courses, job placement and career counselling|
|Employment Incentives||Up to $10,000 incentives for full time working mothers disbursed in annual amounts of $1,000 up to 10 years|
|HOUSING AND UTILITIES||Conditional Housing Grant||$60,000 disbursed in annual installments of $3,000 into the mother's CPF account|
|Utilities Grant||$1,000 to help the family offset utility bills|
|SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES||Education bursaries||
Annual bursaries of up to $3,000 for each child attending pre-school to university to help pay for their educational expenses.
|Mentoring and Family Support||On-going mentoring services from a social service agency which will guide and follow up on the family, and provide support and guidance to strengthen families.|
|Family Planning Incentives||Family planning with cash incentives of up to $8,000.|
OBLIGATIONS UNDER THE SCHEME
To enjoy all the benefits under HOPE, you (and your husband where applicable) must comply with the following:
- Not to have more than 2 children;
- Participate in a family planning programme;
- Reside permanently in Singapore; and
- Attend all required mentoring sessions at the stipulated Mentoring Agency
You could be terminated from the scheme if you do not meet any of the above conditions, and would need to refund to MSF the Conditional Housing Grant received, together with any interest earned on it.
For more information, please call NEW HOPE COMMUNITY SERVICES at 6305 9620.